Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It was a damn Mudder!!

K, so it's been a bit since I've blogged or really since I've blogged about running per se.  I'm actually thinking my Chicago blog post was my last running post, but I might be wrong, tho really, except for me who really gives a care?

Sooooo, my hub's and I did the Tougher Mudder a week or so ago now.  Yeah, well time is blurry to me lately.  I blame it all on the mud, sand, hills, and frickin obstacles.
1st things 1st.  Before I get into the Mudder experience, I occasionally get asked either via FB or email why I named my blog Running Princess.  I posted the lack of reasoning in my 2nd blog post, but I know most of you are too lazy to go back that far.  I would be.  It was a play on myself.  I try not to take myself too seriously, and there ya have it. 

 Plus most of us girls are groomed from a very young age that being a Princess is absolutely intoxicating, or at least the thought of being one is.  I will run a race/event in a Princess TuTu in 2013, so I will actually be the Running Princess for reals.  So question answered I hope?  Damn well better be.

Ok....onward here.  The TM as we started to affectionately call it.  My ultra fit husband (no shittin peeps) went to work right away to get more Ultra Fit for this event.  P90 was in store for a good couple of months, run training, B-Ball on occasion (his 1st and only true sport love).  He was the Master.  Me....well *ahem* me, I sorta just ran lets say.  Then I ran some more, and prayed my R hip and ITB would be presentable come race day.  Oooops, I should say Challenge Day.  That's what the event is, a challenge, not a race.  I kept getting asked by my partner in crime, "did I do pull ups, am I going to do upper bod work?"  I just sorta laughed it off. 

I did do a couple of days (note only 2 days of strength work during the 4 months up to the challenge) here and there, and I did hit the pool for an incredible 500 meter workout. *cough-cough*  Every time I was asked, I would just show him my guns. They were getting frickin large and in charge let me tell ya.  My run training was awesome for my upper bod strength.  :-)














So the event neared.  My hub's ended up with a nasty foot injury about 4 wks prior to our event.  I figured....no biggie.  We can do it again when it comes to Vail Lake (our backyard more or less).  Being the competitor that he is tho, we went...foot or no foot he was going to do this challenge.  We sent back our paperwork (death waivers) via internet and we were ready to roll.  All the hotels in Beatty, NV. were booked about 9 wks prior to the event.  We ended up staying in Pahrump....God.  That's all I will say....God please help me!  Actually, there is a little winery there with a great restaurant.  That was the only saving grace of Pahrump. 

We were about an hr+ out from Beatty, so we got a very early start from Pahrump on Challenge day.  Beatty NV., is a spit town.  You spit...and you have driven thru Beatty.

I can honestly say, the British Special Ops (retired) put on one frickin great obstacle course.  I won't go into great details...cuz my brain was going gang busters at mile 8, but my bod was not happy.  Our course ended up being 11+miles.  Let's just say, I'm recovering from bruises, ITB issues (thank you TM for that), abrasions (had bloody knees and elbows going on at mile 3), oh, and I have a nice large bruise at my L pec/breast due to the warp wall.  Gotta love the warp wall, which if you don't make on the 1st try, you hit it full force on your chest.  How do I know this?  Well..............the very 1st still in this vid is the warp wall.  This is the 2nd to the last obstacle out of approx 22-25 that they have on any given course.
Peeps ask me if I had fun?  Usually when I go into any event, I don't plan on having "fun."  It's work ie; mental, physicality, and just wanting to complete the course that is set out in front of you.  Now after a week or more after the event I can actually say, "yes I had fun."  I know, like whatcha talkin bout Willis?  I had fun.  I enjoyed the event's camaraderie.  I liked the fact that you leave No Mudder Behind (yes, it's military mantra....and I grew to love it out there).  I actually can enjoy how they messed with human physiology by dunking you in water, sometimes frickin ass frigid water (can we say Artic Enema boys and girls?), and then your bod sorta getting warm again, and then there ya have it...another fucking water obstacle to endure.  I purely enjoyed the fact that I did it with my man.  He is an incredible athlete, but more than that he is my guy, and I am so blessed.  Plus, I wouldn't have been able to get out of some of the water obstacles or up the warp wall without his assist at the top.  Ya know, my upper bod training was point on.  Not sure what happened with that.

Bottom line.  This is not a mud run.  Yes, you have mud...sometimes more than you want on the course.  It is so much more than that out there.  It's TUF.  When you complete it you are TUF with so much more after.

Thank you Tough Mudder for your fine course, your support on the course, and your charity that I am so proud to contribute to:  http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I can officially call myself a Bad Ass Tougher Mudder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment